Feb 23, 2013

apologies for 2012

So I never did post a best-of list for 2012. I listened to a lot of music, but somehow very little actually stuck. In the end I felt like I could throw something together but it would be the equivalent of fakin' it.

There was certainly some interesting music. Fiona Apple and Neneh Cherry put out some pretty cool weird-good records (mad newfound respect y'all!). I mean, you can't go wrong with a name like "The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do".  And Ssion did a wonderful Erasure reprisal.

But ultimately, the record that completely and totally rocked my socks off, and made the infinte-repeat playlist for the year was something that was released in 2011. Wax Idols - "No Future" on Hozac. It made a best-of list completely meaningless because nothing in 2012 came close. Yes - it is that good!

The good news is that 2013 is already starting out pretty solid - MBV, Veronica Falls, Eat Skull, Matmos ... and we're only in February.

<full disclosure>I still haven't properly listened to the Frank Ocean album, and I should pretty much stop talking about music until I do that.</full disclosure>

2 comments:

bwanamarko said...

Never figured you for a Google blogger; more like an octopress type but stoked to see your feed. Esp. Like your subtitle - for awhile felt like that was all Mac ever said to me. Cool best of. Hope you can still mix me a disc with post 80s tunage I'm dying here or still stuck between SomaFM and Putumayo's playgrounds

shreddd said...

Yeah - been using Blogger for a long time. Unfortunately I haven't posted much recently. Hoping to change that.